Answering your questions on the Bloodhound SSC. Mark Elvin, lead engineer, provided insight on the science and engineering behind the Bloodhound SSC.
-- Questions --
- How much horsepower is needed to reach 1,000 mph?
- How much does the vehicle weigh?
- What are the wheels/tires made of?
- How do you prevent the car from lifting?
- What measures will you take to ensure the surface is ready to run on?
- What is the drag coefficient?
- How do you deal with vibrations at such high speeds?
- What safety precautions and equipment are used to protect the driver?
- What are the maximum g forces experienced?
- Is there any thermal expansion of components to be concerned with?
- What are some things that you have to take into consideration that the average human won't think about?
- How did Mark Elvin get hired on to this project?
-- Related Links --
Bloodhound SSC - http://youtu.be/gcblFSJf2uI
0-1000 MPH in 60 Seconds: http://youtu.be/tRKyEUxHR70
How Jet Engines Work - http://youtu.be/8Yo369WP060
Bloodhound Project: http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/